If you like working one-on-one with kids with different needs, and you want to see them included in the classroom, becoming an educational assistant might be the career for you. Educational assistants provide the all-important one-on-one support that makes today’s inclusive classrooms possible.
The Educational Assistant program is a 36 weeks in length and is respected by school boards province-wide. We’ll teach you the skills and give you the hands-on experience you need to make a lasting difference in a child’s life.
Your job is to assist classroom teachers by working with children or youth with diverse learning needs. This course provides the knowledge and skills you’ll need, including:
- basic care skills (lifting to feeding)
- classroom management and crisis prevention techniques and strategies
- communication skills and professionalism
- cultural awareness and family dynamics
- exceptionalities (causes, characteristics and accommodations)
- social, emotional, cognitive development (children and teens)
- supporting teachers in specific subject areas
- your role in the classroom
- grade 12 or Accuplacer Testing
- English language requirement
Note: Accepted applicants must provide a criminal record check. At the discretion of the practicum agency, students may be declined access to a clinical or work placement based on the contents of the criminal record check. The cost of the criminal record check is the students responsibility.
Course includes one week of safety training, exact safety courses are to be determined.
For specific course information, please visit the Saskatchewan Polytechnic website.
Fall 2020 Program Information
Location: Zagime First Nation
Applications are now open.
Download and print your complete information package Education Assistant
For more detailed information, please call our toll free registration line at 1-866-999-7372 or email firstname.lastname@example.orgView all Courses