Health Information Management
If you’re detail oriented, self motivated and want a unique career in the health-care industry, consider the Health Information Management program. You’ll learn how to collect, organize and manage large amounts of health information, all while meeting privacy standards.
You could work as a health information management practitioner, coordinator or analyst with health regions as well as public and private health agencies-hospitals to cancer clinics and government agencies. Your unique skill set can also open doors to jobs with police forces, educational institutions, law offices, insurance companies and pharmaceutical firms.
Health Information Management is a nationally accredited two-year diploma program.
Learn from experienced instructors as you build knowledge and leadership skills in:
- data collection, coding and quality;
- electronic health information management (e-HIM®);
- information privacy, security and confidentiality;
- interpretation and analysis of health data;
- patient access to health information;
- records and systems management; and
- transition to the electronic health record.
The program includes two work-based practicums: one in first year, one in second year. It’s a chance to apply your new knowledge and skills in an actual health agency setting. By the time you graduate, you’ll already have 15 weeks of real-world experience – something you can highlight to potential employers.
Diploma to Degree
Use your diploma to transfer into the third year of a four-year Kinesiology, Health Studies or Arts degree program at the University of Regina or First Nations University of Canada
- Grade 12 with a minimum overall average of 65% in the following subjects: English Language Arts A30, English Language Arts B30, Foundations of Math 30 pr Pre-Calculus 30, one 30-level science ( one of Biology, Chemistry or Physics) or Accuplacer Testing
- Keyboarding speed of 30 words per minute with 90% accuracy (5 minute testing report to be submitted with transcripts)
- English language requirement
- Accepted applicants will be required to provide evidence of a Criminal Record Check upon admission into the program. At the discretion of the practicum/clinical agency, you may be declined access to a clinical or work placement based on the contents of the Criminal Record Check. The cost of the Criminal Record Check is your responsibility.
- Effective July 1, 2019: Accepted applicants are required to provide evidence of 2015 WHMIS Globally Harmonized System (GHS) certification upon admission into the program. Re-certification will be required every three years to remain current. The cost of WHMIS certification is your responsibility.
For specific course information, please visit the Saskatchewan Polytechnic website.
Winter 2020 Program Intake Information
Program Dates: January 2020 – Yr 1: 37 weeks; Yr 2: 33 weeks
*In order to ensure prompt acceptance into our program, applicants should make every effort to ensure that applicable transcripts have been received by our Registrar’s office within 5-7 business days of program application*
Download and print your complete application package Health Information Management Diploma
For more detailed information, please call our toll free registration line at 1-866-999-7372 or email email@example.comView all Courses