Youth Care Worker
Does a career of working one-on-one with youth and families interest you?
Graduates of the one-year certificate program are qualified for jobs as youth or family service workers in educational, residential, social services or community-based agencies.
The one-year Youth Care Worker certificate program will be offered Fall 2022 at Cowessess First Nation. Qualified instructors with experience in the field will help you develop the skills you need to build therapeutic relationships with children, youth and families. Your studies will focus on:
- Indigenous awareness;
- addictions and the criminal justice system;
- behavioral intervention strategies and therapeutic activities;
- communication, employability and problem-solving skills;
- crisis prevention/self-protection strategies;
- health & wellness, human growth and development; and
- planning and implementing activities.
Practical, Real-World Learning
The program combines classroom theory with practical learning. You’ll learn from guest speakers and participate in experiential activities. Two work-based practicums give you an opportunity to work directly with children and youth at risk on a day-to-day basis. You’ll apply core concepts learned in class, develop your skills and engage in the design and delivery of programs.
- Grade 12 or Accuplacer
- English Language Requirement
- Admitted students will be required to provide evidence of a Criminal Record Check and a Vulnerable Sector Search prior to entering required coursework and practicum with children, youth and adults. At the discretion of the agency, a student may be declined access to a practicum placement based on the contents of the Criminal Record Check, personal interview and/or medical assessment. A student must complete the practicum placements to graduate from the program. The cost of the Criminal Record Check and Vulnerable Sector Search is the student’s responsibility.
Fall 2022 Program Information
Location: Cowessess First Nation
Program Dates: August 29, 2022 – May 26, 2023
For more detailed information, please call our toll free registration line at 1-866-999-7372 or email firstname.lastname@example.orgView all Courses