Building Code Training for Canadians Series 1, 2010
Registered Student Log In
This is a comprehensive home study of the National Building Code of Canada for one and two unit dwellings.
The BCTC curriculum has now been updated to the 2010 code and is available for registration. All of our learning will now take place in an online environment with the new and updated curriculum.
Students will still be required to request exam sittings as they have in the past, however they will now take their exams electronically at designated testing sites. As a result of this improvement, students will have exam results immediately.
Who can benefit from this training?
- Individuals looking to obtain their Class 1 Building Officials License in hopes of becoming appointed building officials
- Designers and contractors interested in expanding their knowledge of building codes for houses
- Employers of local governments of all sizes who are involved in inspection and/or plan reading
- Individuals who supervise those involved in inspection, plan review, and/or construction of buildings
- Individuals who deal with issues and/or make decisions about building standards
Why register for this program?
Local authorities in Saskatchewan entrust enforcement of the province’s building and accessibility standards to building officials. They are a vital connection between the standards and their application. Aside from other training or experience that they may have, these people must know how to read, understand, and apply the National Building Code of Canada to the variety of materials and methods of construction used today. A person’s successful completion of Building Code Training for Canadians Series 1, 2010 provides one of the eligibility requirements for a Building Official License that applies to one and two unit dwellings.
Students interested in becoming a Class 1 Building Official have two options:
- Students who enroll in the Building Code Training for Canadians (BCTC) course and successfully complete will be eligible to apply for their Class 1 Building Inspectors license, without having to write a comprehensive challenge exam. Students who choose to become members of Saskatchewan Building Officials Association (SBOA) prior to enrolling in the courses will recognize some savings in course fees. The course is comprised of three online sections with an exam at the end of each section. The cost to complete all three sections is $1149 for an SBOA member, $1458 for a non member.
- As an alternative, students may challenge the comprehensive Class 1 paper based exam (based on 1995 code). The exam questions will cover any building codes related to house and the writer is given five hours to complete. Exam preparation is building code self study and based on the individuals experience and knowledge. The cost to complete the challenge exam is $200.
Program Applications and Registration
Please download applicable application form on your computer, print and complete at your earliest convenience. Completed applications can be scanned and emailed to: WBCampusAdmin@southeastcollege.org
A Southeast College representative will be in touch with you as soon as your application has been processed.
Do you still need more information about this program?
For more information or assistance with the registration process, please call the Weyburn Campus at 306-848-2500
View all Courses