Heavy Equipment Operator
Southeast College is pleased to announce it is developing a new, industry driven Heavy Equipment Operator program. This unique program will offer competitive advantages over other similar programs including increased seat time in both simulation and hands-on training equipment and centrally located in southeast Saskatchewan. Students will complete a combined 12 weeks of classroom theory, hands on simulation and onsite project field experience.
Heavy Equipment Operators work in construction and maintenance of roads, bridges, pipelines and buildings, as well as in mining, manufacturing, construction and materials handling work. Annual estimates for wages vary from $41,600 to $79,040. Forecasted job openings for 2019-2023 sits at 540 with many more on the horizon. (Relevance Magazine, 2019)
- Course is 12 weeks in length: 6 weeks in class/theory and simulation and 6 weeks in field experience.
- Students will have access to six state-of-the-art simulation equipment pieces in addition to in seat training. Equipment pieces could include grader, excavator, front end loader, rubber tire hoe, articulated truck and dozer.
- Students will provide their own personal protective equipment including high visibility vest, CSA approved safety glasses, CSA approved hardhat, coveralls, leather work gloves, CSA approved steel toed work boots and CSA approved hearing protection.
- Students should have demonstrated course suitability including but not limited to mathematical ability, excellent vision and a high degree of hand eye coordination. Students should also be in good physical condition as lifting and moderate physical labour are required to work in this sector.
- General Admission Requirements will apply – Students must meet the minimum English Language Requirements for this program, Grade 10 or equivalent (Special Admissions may apply to some applicants), current/valid Class 5 Drivers License and be at least 18 years of age at time of application, or within 6 months of program end.
- Program/industry specific safety certifications will be included in this program – First aid CPR/AED, TDG online, WHMIS online, Ground Disturbance, Confined Space, H2S Alive, Fire Extinguisher Safety.
Upcoming HEO Schedule for 2021
Cohort 1 – April 26 – July 16
Theory – April 26 – June 4 and Field – June 7 – July 16
**We have reached our applicant quota for this cohort. Please apply to Cohort 2 or 3**
Cohort 2 – June 7 – August 27
Theory – June 7 – July 16 and Field – July 19 – August 27
**Application deadline for this intake is May 25, 2021**
Cohort 3 – July 19 – October 8
Theory – July 19 – August 27 and Field – August 30 – October 8
**Application deadline for this intake is July 5, 2021**
Tuition – $11, 500
*Field projects for cohort 1-3 will be located within the City of Estevan; all theory will be located at Southeast College Estevan Campus
• Grade 10 or Equivalent
• English Language Requirement IELTS 6.5 or Duo Lingo 105
• Valid Class 5 Drivers License
• Minimum 18 years of age
Special Admission: Applicants who do not possess the academic qualifications for a program maybe be admitted if evidence of probable
success can be established through a special admission assessment. Interested individuals should still apply. A Southeast College
Student Advisor or the Registrar will contact students that fall within this category.
Applications for all three cohorts will open March 1, 2021!
To view a list of frequently asked questions about the HEO program, please click here.
For more information or to be one of the first students to take advantage of this exciting new training opportunity in Saskatchewan, email us at HEO@southeastcollege.orgView all Courses