Heavy Equipment Operator
Heavy Equipment Operator’s are in demand in Saskatchewan!
This unique program will offer competitive advantages over other similar programs including increased seat time in both simulation and hands-on training equipment and centrally located in southeast Saskatchewan. Students will complete a combined 12 weeks of classroom theory, hands on simulation and onsite project field experience.
Heavy Equipment Operators work in construction and maintenance of roads, bridges, pipelines and buildings, as well as in mining, manufacturing, construction and materials handling work. Annual estimates for wages vary from $41,600 to $79,040. Forecasted job openings for 2019-2023 sits at 540 with many more on the horizon. (Relevance Magazine, 2019)
- Course is 12 weeks in length; a combination of in class theory, state of the art equipment simulation and on site field experience make up the course curriculum
- Students will have access to six state-of-the-art simulation equipment pieces in addition to in seat training. Equipment pieces will include grader, excavator, front end loader, rubber tire hoe, articulated truck (rock truck) and dozer.
- Students will provide their own personal protective equipment including high visibility vest, CSA approved safety glasses, CSA approved hardhat, coveralls, leather work gloves, CSA approved steel toed work boots and CSA approved hearing protection.
- Students should have demonstrated course suitability including but not limited to mathematical ability, excellent vision and a high degree of hand eye coordination. Students should also be in good physical condition as lifting and moderate physical labour are required to work in this sector.
- General Admission Requirements will apply – Students must meet the minimum English Language Requirements for this program, Grade 10 or equivalent (Special Admissions may apply to some applicants), current/valid Class 5 Drivers License and be at least 18 years of age at time of application, or within 6 months of program end.
- Program/industry specific safety certifications are an essential component to this program; Students that require the safety certifications will be provided an opportunity to take training with Southeast College within the program. Safety certifications will include: First Aid CPR A/AED, SCOT/WHMIS, Ground Disturbance, Confined Space, H2S Alive and Simulated Fire Training. Students who have completed all or some of the required safety training will be required to provide copies of valid certifications prior to the start of the program.
Schedule for Heavy Equipment Operator classes starting Spring 2023; Classes scheduled starting Spring 2024 will see a tuition and material cost increase.
Class will run from 7:30 am to 4:30 pm daily
Dates: April 11, 2023 – June 30, 2023
Dates: July 4, 2023 – September 22, 2023
Tuition – $12, 500 tuition plus $302 student fees (graduation and student health and dental program)
Materials – $75.00
Field project location for 2023 is the continuation of the City of Estevan road expansion.
• Grade 10 or Equivalent
• English Language Requirement IELTS 6.5 or Duo Lingo 105
• Valid Class 5 Drivers License
• Minimum 18 years of age at application, or within 6 months of program end
Southeast College is not accepting applications for International Students for this program at this time
Special Admission: Applicants who do not possess the academic qualifications for a program maybe be admitted if evidence of probable
success can be established through a special admission assessment. Interested individuals should still apply. A Southeast College
Student Advisor or the Registrar will contact students that fall within this category.
To view a list of frequently asked questions about the HEO program, please click Heavy Equipment Operator Student FAQ – updated January 2023
Funding options are available for qualified students. Please enquire with a Southeast College Student Advisor for more information.
For more information or to be one of the first students to take advantage of this exciting new training opportunity in Saskatchewan, email us at HEO@southeastcollege.org
Note: Materials and tuitions are subject to change without noticeView all Courses