HUMD 102 Growth and Development of Young Children
You will study the developmental milestones from conception through the stages of infancy, toddlerhood to age five. The course provides an introduction to the theories of learning and personality, brain development and methods of studying human behavior, including Indigenous world views. You will learn about the effects of heredity and the environment, including culture, on the emotional, social, cognitive and physical development of children and behavior.
- Explain the major philosophical and theoretical views of human development with a primary focus on child development
- Examine Indigenous worldview related to child development
- Describe prenatal development
- Describe the development of infants and toddlers
- Describe the development of preschool children
- Explain the concept of schemas in relation to early childhood development