COVID-19 (novel Coronavirus) InformationMarch 13, 2020
Update April 28, 2020
Southeast College announced recently the details surrounding the new “Critical Needs Bursary” designed to assist its current post-secondary students. The application based bursary is intended to provide assistance to students that may be struggling to meet their basic needs during this time of uncertainty. Southeast College in conjunction with the Government of Saskatchewan has made over $20,000 available to its students.
“What we’re experiencing right now is unprecedented for not only our students but our entire province and country,” states Kassandra Lawrenz, Manager – College Advancement. “So many people are struggling right now, and students are no exception. The critical needs bursaries will be a tremendous help to those students who have been most drastically effected.”
To apply for the Critical Needs Bursary, please follow this link.
Update April 23, 2020
Southeast College is continuing to follow the guidelines as set forth by the Government of Saskatchewan and the Chief Medical Health Officer. As such, we will be extending the closure of public access to our facilities until at least May 15, 2020. This date may be extended if recommend by the Government of Saskatchewan.
All scheduled industry and safety courses and continuing education courses will be postponed until such time that we are safely able to reopen.
We would like to remind you that most Industry and Safety certification expiry dates have been extended, you can find that information here.
We would also like to remind our students, prospective students, clients and stakeholders that even though our Campus locations are closed to the public, Southeast College staff are hard at work behind the scenes. We have implemented alternative learning methods wherever possible, are beginning to prepare for the fall student intake and ensuring that we are ready to welcome all of our students back to all of our campus locations once it has been deemed safe to do so.
We have compiled a “Best Ways to Contact Southeast College” quick reference that can be found here.
In addition to this we have also compiled a comprehensive Student Support Resource page that covers supports ranging from Wellness Supports to Financial Resources. This page can be found here.
Thank you for your continued support and understanding as we navigate through waters no one has ever experienced before.
Update April 14, 2020
Adult Basic Education Students Departmental (Provincial) Exams
Below are some very important bullets to update you:
1) All Departmental (Provincial) exams for the January – May 2020 semester have been waived by the Ministry of Education in Saskatchewan. As of today, Departmental exam sittings for May and June remain scheduled IF you choose to write a 100% challenge exam. Please continue to monitor the status as they may be cancelled pending COVID 19 regulations.
2) Your instructor(s) will submit final grades based on assessments, class contributions and assignments for the semester. The final grade submitted will be the highest mark between: 1) your mark for completed course outcomes as of March 13th; or 2) your mark for completing the supplemental distance delivery course materials. This will be your final grade that will be displayed on your Government of Saskatchewan Education Transcript.
3) A minimum final mark record of 50 per cent or greater is to be applied to the outcomes evaluated to date in the subject areas as of March 13, 2020. Adult learners will be afforded the opportunity to improve the mark record through options provided within the capacity of their institution.
4) A mark of 50 per cent will not be applied where a learner has not completed any outcomes or where the instructor has not evaluated any outcomes as of March 13, 2020. Adult learners will have the opportunity to engage in supplementary learning opportunities to obtain a mark record.
5) All classes are scheduled to continue after the Easter Break in the same format as prior to the break. If you need clarification, please contact your student advisor or instructor(s) for further details. The College recognizes the change from face to face instruction is challenging for some students and instructors, however it is our hope that you will continue with your supplemental learning to finish up the year and to best prepare you for your fall plans.
6) Adult learners will be encouraged to continue learning; however, if they are not able to, they will be assigned their grade as of March 13, 2020, as per the statement above.
Update April 7, 2020
Adult Basic Education, English as Another Language, Post-Secondary Programs
Southeast College continues to follow the direction of the Chief Medical Officer of Saskatchewan, our health authorities and guiding Ministries as we respond to the ongoing COVID-19 situation. The health and safety of our staff and students remains a top priority.
Southeast College employees and students will continue with their current alternative working and learning arrangements until further notice.
Through the power of technology, Southeast College staff are working remotely. All phone lines and emails continue to be monitored and messages responded to on a regular basis. Southeast has created a “Best ways to contact us” document – it can be found here.
Southeast College continues to work collaboratively with our Institutional partners and the Ministries to determine alternate assessment options for programming. Southeast College students will continue to be notified directly by college staff regarding alternative assessment options and program adjustments.
If students need more information, we encourage them to contact their instructor or program coordinator directly. We want to extend our appreciation to all of you as we navigate these new circumstances together.
If you are having troubles managing home and school life balance, please reach out to your local Student Advisor for supports and resources. A virtual or teleconference meeting can be booked online by following this link or by calling 1-866-999-7372 Option 1 and asking to be put through to a Student Services Advisor.
Continued Education Courses including Industry and Safety Training
All Continuing Education courses including Industry and Safety Training, Part Time classes, Business Training and Personal Interest classes continue to be paused. Updates on the status of these classes will continue to be posted to our website.
Some Industry and Safety courses have been granted certificate expiry extensions. Please visit our website information page for more detailed information.
We would like to express gratitude to all of our full time, part time and shorter course students. This is a challenging time in history for all of our communities. We appreciate your continued support in the past, in the present time and looking forward into the future.
Update March 21, 2020 – 9:30 AM
All Southeast College students should have been contacted yesterday (Friday, March 20) either via email, text or telephone call to alert you on the next step(s) for your respective program. If you haven’t been contacted yet, please send us a message at firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, program name and program location and we will ensure that your email is directed to the appropriate personnel.
In addition, we are preparing a “Best ways to contact Southeast College” reference page. We aim to have that posted by Tuesday at noon. In the meantime, you are encouraged to email us at email@example.com with any questions you may have at any time. We will respond with information as soon as we are able.
Update March 18, 2020 – 5:00 PM
- As of 5:00 p.m, Wednesday, March 18th all Southeast College test centers will be closed.;
- As of 5:00 p.m, Thursday, March 19th all industry, safety, continuing education, business management essentials, management essentials, will be suspended; and
- As of 5:00 p.m, Thursday, March 19th all public access to all Southeast College Campus locations will be suspended.
While we are closed to walk in traffic, most employees are working from home offices and will continue to serve the public. For service please call your local campus between the hours of 9 – 4 Monday through Friday or our toll free information line at 1-866-999-7372 Option 1. During the off hours you can leave us a message through the Contact Us page on this website or sending us a private message on social media.
Thank you for your continued support as we work through this next phase of the COVID-19 challenges.
Update March 16, 2020 – 8:30PM
Message from Patrick Stoddart, Southeast College President and CEO
In partnership with the province’s other post-secondary educational institutions, Saskatchewan Regional Colleges are suspending all academic programming for the remainder of this week.
In an effort to reduce the risk of COVID-19 transmission, Regional College programs will be offered through alternative delivery options where possible, effective March 23.
Updated class schedule:
March 17-20: In-person classes are suspended – Full time, Part time, Adult Basic Education, English as Another Language, Essential Skills for the Workplace Programs and University of Regina classes
March 20: More information will be provided to students regarding online or alternative delivery, where possible.
March 23: Online courses or alternative delivery programming for students will begin, where possible.
Updated information for students will be provided by email from each program.
We appreciate that this is challenging time for students, faculty and staff. We will continue to work with you to share information as soon as it becomes available.
Please note that our Business Development, Industry and Safety classes and prescheduled practicums for Practical Nursing students will not be impacted at this time.
Regional College campuses are not closing. However, services may be limited at each campus. Please refer to our website for more details.
Industry and Safety Classes – Classes are running as scheduled
March 17 & 18 – St John First Aid – Estevan Campus
March 19 – H2S Alive – Estevan Campus
March 19 – Ground Disturbance – Weyburn Campus
March 19 – St John First Aid Refresher – Weyburn Campus
Update – Monday, March 16, 2020 – 6:30 AM
University of Regina Students
Message from Patrick Stoddart, Southeast College President and CEO
Regional Colleges temporarily suspend University classes to manage COVID-19 Risk
Due to the continually changing circumstances related to the spread of COVID-19, Saskatchewan’s Regional Colleges will follow the lead of both provincial Universities and suspend University classes for the first three to four days of this week. This will allow both the University of Saskatchewan and the University of Regina to include the Regional Colleges in their current transition to online delivery of courses.
Given the gravity of the COVID-19 challenge, no face-to-face instruction will take place for University courses for the rest of the term.
For University of Regina courses, beginning on Friday, March 20, classes will resume through teaching at a distance only.
Students with questions should contact the instructors for your individual courses.
Update – Sunday, March 15, 2020 – 7:45 PM
Class Cancellation Update
Adult Basic Education Piapot Valley (located on Piapot First Nation) – All classes will be suspended for the week of March 16-20.
Adult Basic Education Piapot Urban (located at First Nation University Regina) – All classes will be suspended for the week of March 16-20.
University of Regina classes at ALL Southeast College locations – All classes will be suspended for the week of March 16-19.
College representatives will be reaching out to all students affected by the closures via email and text/telephone call.
All other Southeast College Classes
At this time, all other Southeast College classes will continue as scheduled. We will continue to respond to recommendations from public health officials and will update this site as the situation changes.
Update – Sunday, March 15, 2020 – 9:30 AM
All Southeast College Classes
At this time, all Southeast College classes (including University of Regina classes at Southeast College) will continue as scheduled. We will continue to respond to recommendations from public health officials and will update this site as the situation changes.
Update – Saturday, March 14, 2020 – 9:30 AM
Postponement of College and Third Party Events
Non-essential College sponsored events will be cancelled or postponed until further notice. This includes third party events held at any of our campus locations.
Implementation of Social Distancing Protocols
In addition to canceling or postponing non-essential events and gatherings until further notice, the College recommends the following community-based safety measures:
- When possible, keep 2m (6ft) of distance between you and other people, and avoid shaking hands and hugging.
- Minimize in-person meetings and group activities; use phone, teleconference and other technologies for meetings.
- Evaluate the need for bringing in outside people to campus; cancel, reschedule or using other methods for the meeting or activity.
- Avoid crowded places if possible.
Updated information, when applicable , will be posted at approximately 9:30 am and 5:30 pm daily.
Southeast College is taking the necessary steps across each of our locations to ensure continued safety of both our students and our staff.
Public health officials continue to reassess the national and provincial public health risk, based on the best available evidence, as the situation evolves. Students and staff are directed to the provincial government website www.saskatchewan.ca, where the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) link provides the most up-to-date information available for Saskatchewan residents.
Below is our current messaging as it relates to our clients, students and staff:
- The safety and well-being of students and staff is our primary focus.
- Southeast College is prepared to adopt and fully support any direction from the Federal and Provincial Governments and Public Health.
- The academic and training teams at the College are preparing for alternate training delivery methods for programs where possible and if necessary.
- All Southeast College campus locations have increased cleaning protocols and frequency.
Given the guidance we have received thus far, as well as our own preparedness efforts, we believe that we are taking the right steps to ensure that our college locations are safe.
Thank you for your continued understanding, we will continue to update as needed. Current information will be posted on our website at www.southeastcollege.org.
Students can continue to call our toll-free registration line for information at 1-866-999-7372 OPTION 1, Monday – Friday from 8 am – 5 pm.